Thursday, September 17, 2009

First Week Of Classes

We finally have to attend class. Bummer? You'd think. But for the first time at Emerson, I love all my classes immensely. Maybe it's because I only have two real ones, plus an 8-cred internship. Hmm.

I'm taking the Feature Film Seminar which will take the film I worked on over the summer and expand it into a real, 90+ page feature script. This is INCREDIBLY exciting. I've never written a feature before, so this should be a real challenge/eye opener. My class is small, 8 people, which is great. My prof is also pretty sassy. She's currently working on a novel so she's in the same place we are in terms of first drafts (despite her 12+ years experience over us). I'm really excited to see what gets produced in that class, both by myself and my classmates - some of them had some pretty fresh ideas.

My other class is Film and Television in the Age of Anxiety. This class is AMAZING. My prof, while a little off/smelly, seems perfect for the course. Our first class we watched The End of America, the documentary that accompanies a book of the same name by Naomi Wolf. It was incredibly interesting and a bit frightening. The shocking part about it was that I was actively involved in the class discussion, something I've never really done at Emerson. I've never found the seminar topics interesting enough for me to lend my opinions too. This is different though. I think I've withheld myself from politics long enough to experience something like a reset, or a fresh start. Either way, it's exciting, and I was scribbling final paper topics all over my notebook during the film and that is completely unlike me!

So those were two huge positives. I'm still hunting for a job like a devil woman, hopefully one will show up soon so I can finally rest and enjoy my time out here. Hopefully it isn't a job that requires me to take 3 different buses to go 6 miles (seriously Los Angeles, what's up with that?).

I START AT RADICAL TOMORROW!!!! I don't think I can properly convey how excited I am about this. Jen, my supervisor, is all sorts of chill. The dress code is casual - bonus. I was even told that the post division would "love to throw me some projects"... *insert nerd moment here* All in all, I am totally stoked on this...now only if I can find a ride so I won't have to wake up at 6am when work reports at 10am...

I'll post again after my first day or two of Radical. Enjoy the weekend, friends. And all of ya'll in Boston, enjoy that fall weather - I'm jonesing for it real bad. Sunshine is overrated when you get it EVERY DAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment